Re: [RC] Endurance Polls/Recovery Times - rides2far

MOST people are presenting
for their P&R with tack on freshly off the trail.  Often times they
haven't even taken their horses to the trailer/crew spot yet.  They
pulse in, get their in/out time, and THEN go untack and prepare for
the vetcheck.

Again, there's a problem. I know out west lots of times you guys just
yell "P&R" and someone comes over and takes it. At our rides we have an
area roped off with a timer at the entry. When you go in there you get
your P&R. Then you have to go directly to the vet because they have it
roped off and you can't go against the stream. Often at the big rides
this is a *very* choreographed line with a person who tells you when a
vet is open and to step forward. Our vets USUALLY require tack off so you
have to go to your crew area and untack before presenting for P&R.

I'm not a vet and I'm sure they see things I don't but in general I don't
think shortening the time is the answer. Most of the horses I've seen on
IV's were recovering well within the time. I've only seen a few horses
ever who were having trouble recovering within 30 min. who didn't have
plenty of other reasons that the vet could use to pull them. I have seen
some strange situations like a horse who just wouldn't relax and pee who
the 30 min. cut off pulled when he was really fine when he peed at 35
min.

When you have vets setting the recovery criteria at 60 on hot days and a
horse that's watching everything or needs to just chill awhile that 30
min. could get by pretty quick. A horse that goes to 64 and hangs looks a
lot different than one that's hanging at 88.  The horse that needed to
pee looked a LOT different than the over ridden horses I've seen some
Yahoos trying to cool out to make the 30 min. cut off. Surely a vet could
differentiate.

Is there a problem with what *reason* the vet would have to give for
pulling the horse he didn't feel was handling the trail, or rider who was
definately over riding even if he did make the cut off at the last
second? Maybe we need a P/VGF designation (pulled/vet's gut feeling)

Angie