[RC] Senior horse - PSaintjohn

Hello all...I am looking for help with my senior horse (33 years of age)....
  He is fed seperately all you can eat soft foods (senior feed, beet pulp, alfalfa meal, alfalfa pellets).  His appetite is great....but he is losing weight.  Somehow, last week, it now looks like his stomach has fallen....Really...his backbone now sticks up.  The local vets just shake their heads and ask me how much money I want to put into this old horse.  I think my question is...how do you know when enough is enough?  He is still fairly alert, can get up and down and retains his ornery personality.  Any advice?  This is my first horse.
  Thanks, Pamela Burton