Re: [RC] feeding broodmares - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

Yup, that's all true, alot of good mares will maintain weight very well on
good quality grass hay alone.  I still prefer adding in the broodmare
pellets anyway just for the higher levels of minerals (especially copper and
zinc) provided by the pellets.  Somewhere around here I have a study that
discussed a lower incidence of angular limb deformity issues in foals whose
moms were supplemented during gestation, versus those that were not.  We
sure got alot of crooked-leg foals at CSU and invariably, the mare was on an
inappropriate ration during pregnancy, though of course that's not the only
factor involved.  In addition, I have a farm that I work with whose
incidence of ALDs went from 28% to 0% once the mineral profiles were fiddled
with a bit.

Anyway, good grass hay or pasture sure goes a million miles towards a good
healthy mom and baby.  I just like the extra insurance.  :-)

As for what's a good mare pellet---find what's readily available locally,
formulated specifically for mares and foals, from a source that has a pretty
good turnover so the product is fresh.  I like Buckeye Gro 'N Win alot, as
well as Purina Omolene, but those aren't readily available everywhere.

JMO.

Susan G

That said--with our Arab mares, we find that we are better off to
supplement
VERY little, if at all, if we have high-quality hay.  Our mares get plenty
chunky on hay alone, and raise healthy babies without losing any weight,
just with free choice hay.  We are deficient in selenium here, but
otherwise
our hay pretty well meets their needs.  So we go through more frequently
with E-Se injections for the mares and babies than we do for idle mature
horses, but otherwise have no problems.  (Disclaimer--given the hay
quality
in some parts of the country, one may still need to follow Susan's
advice--just be aware that it isn't necessary in all situations.)

Heidi