[RC] Horse is not lame, but can't be shod - sue koost

Good day all:

Problem: My horse is showing no lameness.   However during an episode of being shod on Friday, the tapping of the hammer sent the horse up and out of the cross ties.   I did not witness this, so, I picked up each of his hind feet and gently tapped his hoof with a hammer.   The affective foot/leg caused an immediate explosion from my horse who reared up and out of the cross tie, (and basically on top of me at the rear).

Any ideas out there?  suggestions?   I was going to call the vet on Monday, however he is not lame.

Back ground: this is the leg that he has always fussed over as a baby.  He is a 10 year old full Arab, 15-2 moderate distance horse. (not many 50's due to myself).    Had a particularly difficult training ride 3 days prior doing very steep slippery hills.  We haven't incorporated that many hills in a training session normally.  Polishing up for the Fleserton Ride this weekend.

Thanks for any input.
feel free to respond to me directly.

Jazz's momforever.