Re: [RC] Ride/Race After-care - Funny Story - RDCARRIE

Got a funny story about post ride horse care.  After the ride, hubby and I
tend to brush the horses off just a bit, give them a post-ride dose of
electrolytes, give them each a big pan of sloppy beet pulp with a little equine
senior
for flaver, a pile of hay, tub of water, and leave them alone to rest.  My
husband bought a horse last year (a Paso Fino) to do LDs on.  He's very
conservative, like me, and is always worried about overriding his horse.  He
did his
first ride at a 3-day ride last October.  Day one, he just did the 15 mile
"introductory ride", since he hadn't ridden his horse in 2 weeks and was
worried
about the horse handling 25 miles (in spite of the fact that he regularly did
12-15 mile conditioning rides, and the horse could have probably done a slow
50!
LOL).  Horse did fine on the intro ride. <G>  He took day 2 off, then did
the LD on day 3, completing in about 4 1/2 hours, with tons of horse left.
After the ride, we gave Diamante his big vat of beet pulp and some hay, then
Ross
went in the trailer to clean up.  When he came out, Diamante had eaten most of
the beet pulp and was napping.  Ross immediately began beating himself up,
saying that he shouldn't have done the 25, Diamante was exhausted, etc., and
just generally feeling horrible about how hard he'd ridden his horse.  I told
him
that most, if not all, horses take a nap after a ride, and told him to look
around camp...and sure enough, there were snoozing horses everywhere.  I
reassured him that Diamante was fine, and sure enough, about an hour later, he
woke
up and began eating everything in sight.  Ross had just never noticed that my
horse always takes a nap after eating his post-ride beet pulp...but he had his
beloved Diamante under a magnifying glass, stressing over every little thing.
I still tease him about that.  <VBEG>

Dawn in East Texas