Re: [RC] Stallions - Kristene Smuts

LONG - DELETE IF NOT INTERESTED

Bette said : >>It would be interesting to find out just how many
breeders/riders on ridecamp have stallions that they rarely breed and how the
stallions behave.>>

Bette, I have one full-blown stallion, Ibn Shah, and 2 up-and-coming colts.
When I got Ibn, he had been bred, but I had no idea how many times (he was just
under 7yo at the time I got him) and the then owner wouldn't tell me how many
babies he had on the ground - don't know why, but Ibn later showed me many
things about this man.  Anyway, while I was busy getting his mind sound, he
never came into contact with any mares - there was a little herd of 4 Welshies
in the field next to his which he used to visit about once a day, otherwise he
was off on his own.  The first time I introduced him to a more social situation
- proper boarding, after just over a year on the farm - the MARES almost
climbed over the fences - 4 sturdy paddocks separating him and the nearest one.
He never even looked at them.  He would pull his belly up and arch his neck if
we walked past their paddocks, but that was it.  He was boarded for just under
2 years and in that time, we would pass the mares on several occasions, with
only a nicker and flared nostrils - they were not as ladylike!  In the time he
was boarded, he got out twice, due to Lexx (gelding) being the master gate
opener - the first occasion the two of them were found grazing peacefully just
outside the paddock and the second, Ibn was standing dozing outside the one
mare's stable - leg cocked and bottom lip hanging.  A vicious, sex starved
stallion?  Methinks not!

Heidi said : >>Usually the WORST breeding for every stallion any given year is
the first one>> and >>And personally, I really wouldn't care to USE a stallion
for breeding that  DIDN'T have the kind of disposition that he can be managed
not a lot differently than a gelding.>>

Since coming to me - just over 3 years ago - it was Ibn's first time breeding
this past summer - he bred 2 mares.  The first time I took him out for a walk
after breeding the first mare, he was a pain in the b-hind.  But I expected it
and accepted it as part of the "job".  After breeding the second mare a few
months later, he was much better and I could actually ride him without fuss
again.  The main reason for my decision to breed him is his temperament.  He's
well put-together but has his fair share of faults as well, but his personality
was the kicker in my decision making.  After all that was done to him and all
he went through, to come out the other side with that temperament, is
remarkable.  Will I breed him again?  Who knows, time will tell.

And about the other two colts?  Well, time will also tell.  On paper they're
both excellent breeding prospects, but time will show which way to go with
those two.  Temperament-wise they're wonderful and I'm hoping they stay that
way.  IF they do prove to be breedable, they will find the joys of the flesh
only at about age 6 or so, even later.

An oh yes, they are all in paddocks adjoining each other - the 2 youngsters are
in with the older brood mare who doles out discipline as and when needed.  Ibn
still gets the baby mouthing from the 2 colts, even at age 2.5 from the older
one, which I'm happy with.

Heidi, maybe you want to re-think this statement you made ;-))
Sex is not like air and food.  It may be fun, but life CAN go on without
it.>>  Actually, life can't ............ ;-))))

Have a good one!
Kristene