[RC] [RC] Future 100s (was Californios 65 & 100) - Timothy Worden

KimFue@xxxxxxx wrote:
The Californios 65 &100 was held on Saturday.  There were 11 horses in the
65 miler and 29 or 30 horses in the 100.  This certainly dispels any rumors
that 100 mile rides are losing popularity. <g>
This comment by Kim sure gives me hope as my endurance addiction grows.  Kim, thanks for sharing your 100 mile experience.

I just love to hear these great stories from 100 mile rides.  I'm into my second year of AERC competition and have hopes of progressing to 1 day 100s.  Recent stories from people such as Maggie Mieske and Stagg Newman have been very inspiring.  I had loooked so forward to reading about Staggs possible third win on Jayel Super at the OD 100.  But alas, this east coast weather has us in quite a mess causing the OD to cancel.  Even as I type it rains outside and probably will through tomorrow.  My 50mile attempts have not gone quite as hoped so far this year.  I've learned a lot though and that is the key to finishing in the sport.  I've found I may be too much for my little bay mare for the 50-100 miles that I aspire to finish.  So it's back to doing some LDs with a 5y/o Arab/QH gelding, Poco(can you tell what QH blood he has?) that has a better build to carry 190-200lbs with tack.  If all goes well with the LDs for him, which I'm sure it will, I'll hopefully try a slow 50 by the end of the year.  Then with the encouragement and mentoring of 100 mile riders like Stagg Newman, maybe Poco and I will attempt our first 100 next year.  That is of course if 100 miles is not too much too soon for a then 6y/o.  Looking at the calendar just this week for the Southeast I noticed that JD Fountain now has a third ride this year scheduled for mid Sept.  This ride has a 50 and 100 mile only.  It's great to see another 100 mile ride on the schedule in a region that is huge on LDs.  I'll get a small taste of what it's like riding a 100 when we ride the 25 at the Carolina Moonlight 25/50.  It may not be the distance, but riding in the dark will be a new challenge.

Keep those 100mile rides and stories coming.  And you 100milers keep up the mentoring.  Hopefully more riders like myself will strive for, as I believe Nick Warhol has called it, "The Ultimate Ride".

Tim
http://www.carolinadistanceriders.com/