Re: [RC] [Guest] Stallions, Mares and Hormones - k s swigart

Whether fair or not, in general (at least in FL ) if anything happens it is the fault of the Stallion owner...period end of conversation.  That does place an extra burden ( not matter how much they feel it unfair ) on the stallion owner.

Strict liability for stallion owners is the case here in California too.  That does not change, however, my comment that the way to teach mares to behave themselves around stallions is to teach them to behave themselves around geldings.  Attempting to teach them to behave themselves around stallions if you have permitted them to misbehave around geldings is an uphill battle.

It is because only about one mare owner in ten (probably a gross exaggeration) thinks that "flirting" is unacceptable behaviour that can/should be trained out of a mare that I commented that a flirty mare SHOULDN'T provoke a response in a stallion at an endurance ride....because stallion owners are almost guaranteed to find flirty mares at endurance rides (and most stallion owners know this), and teach their stallions not to respond.
As a stallion owner, I used to think, "It is not my problem if you can't handle your mare when my horse is around."  However, in law (even if it is not fair), that just isn't true.  When I bring my stallion, the behaviour of everybody else's horse becomes my problem.  _I_ consider the relationship that can be had with a stallion to be well worth the added trouble, but it ain't for everybody.

It is not difficult to teach a stallion when to breed and when not to breed.  Stallions, by nature, just don't do all that much breeding.  In the wild, they live all day, every day in close contact with multiple (maybe) mares and if they are lucky they probably get to breed about 5 times a year.  The rest of the time, they are just horses.  Smart stallions, no matter how horny they might be, know very well how to take "no" for an answer.  It really isn't very hard to teach them that they don't get to breed with a saddle on.

Those that haven't learned that lesson, you are unlikely to find at an endurance ride.

kat
Orange County, Calif.