Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] horse fatalities, 2002

Thanks.  I know there are some out there who may think I'm making much to-do about something that doesn't happen very often, but, for me, there is usually some knowledge to be gained by getting all the information that happened at the ride when a horse dies out there.  For others to learn.

One example is the accident where a horse got loose from a pen, fractured a leg and had to be euthanized.  This should be looked into more closely.  It's the kind of thing that has me up at night and constantly checking my pen to make sure the horses are still in there.  I'm to the point where I consider hobbling, tying them to a trailer inside a fortified pen.

There are other examples.  No accident should go unnoticed especially if a horse has to be put down because of a broken bone.  Learning everything might prevent one rider from repeating the mistakes of others.  Heck, let's at least make the attempt to learn from it.

I have one question.  Why isn't the Horse Welfare Committee listed in June's EN?  The ball needs to roll on this.  The Committee exists and needs to be listed.

cya,
Howard