[RC] Stallions / White River Summer - Kari Hanes

I've been reading all the posts on stallions and am a bit confused as to what defines "bad" behavior.

Last weekend we took our 5 year old colt to his first ride. We didn't take his noise & fussing for being untrained/uncontrolable (he's a good boy at home and at brother's arena), we figured he was just scared sh*tless! We brought along his riding partner (mare) and as long as she was in sight he did pretty good. We apoligized to our camp neighbors for the whinnying and they said no problem - he's a newbie! We'd been kicking the idea around for a few months about taking him and this ride was only 30 min. from home so we went.

The only way to get any horse to used to rides and camping is to go. There was one gelding who definitely shouldn't have been there (in my opinion) , but who's to say they weren't in the same boat we were? You really don't know how they are going to act until you get there.

We both completed the 25 LD on Sunday and were very proud of our horses. The first loop we got absolutely soaked! We were worried about footing so we took it nice and slow. We got back into camp and the sun finally came out in time for the second loop. Everyone said we should pick up our pace as our horses walked into the check pulsing in the low 50's. So we picked it up for the 10 mile loop and to my amazement my little mare walked into the final check with a 48 pulse rate! The colt wasn't far behind so we both called and got through the vet check with no problems. What a great feeling knowing your horse is happy, after some initial antics settled into the routine of things and finished in good health.

So we will be going to Hopkins Creek next weekend. (We'll be the ones with the noisy black/gray colt and little chestnut mare) We'll ride at our own pace and probably come in dead last again, but with smiles a mile wide! This is a great sport and we're having a blast training, riding and learning as much as possible from the more seasoned riders.

Thanks to all you folks who have encouraged us and given your advice and BIG thank you to Ridecamp, all the information we've learned from this list has been priceless! And another big thanks to Wayne Gastfield who introduced us to endurance in the beginning. Hopefully Lucas' little brother & sister won't be far behind him in a couple years!

Dale and Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians

Bahara Shado (you want me to stay in this little pen??!!)
Leah (yea! no more round and round the show arena!)