[RC] OD - Larry Miller

Better to cancel a ride because of weather and high water than permit a ride to go on, have horses and riders swimming in flooded creeks, and then cancelling mid ride .  None of us show a hell of alot of sense when competing.  Not only did 4 of us plunge into the roiling, boiling creek that was over horses and riders' heads, but when we were all out safely on the same side that we started, 2 more riders came along and proceeded upstream to see if they could get across.  Dumb and dumber comes to mind.  The ride was cancelled right then and there, the DNR was at fault as they opened the flood gates and did not tell the endurance ride folks and managers what they had done.  Their response?  'we told the campers to go home and we thought that you guys did too!'  It would be easy to put all the blame on the DNR but we riders have to take blame too, although the creek crossings got higher and higher, we persisted.  Good experience that happened to me in the 80s, I do think a little better about what I am doing on trail now.  Jeanie