RE: [RC] Stallions - McGann, Barb

I think its every stallion owner's worst nightmare to have their stallion
loose, but then I wouldn't want any of my horses loose!

Cyam, our stallion (back in the 70's) got loose at a ride once.  He ran toward
the next camp and the rider there threw her hands in the air and screamed
"shoo" at him.  Of course, he swerved off and ran the other way.  I was hot in
pursuit, but each time he would near a trailer, someone would spook and
stampede him off the other way.  Finally, he ran toward the vet check area.
I'm huffing and puffing behind him, trying to catch up.  There was a lady there
checking her horse through the vets.  As Cyam neared her, I yelled "Just grab
him - he won't hurt you!"  She did, bless her heart.  When I got to her, I
noticed that she was holding the two horses at arms length in opposite
directions.  Thanking her profusely, I assured her that Cyam wouldn't have hurt
her or her horse.  She said, "Yeah, but my horse is a stallion, too!"

I think we are talking about the bad apple again.  99% of stallions are well
trained and their owners are obsessed with control and responsibility.  Then,
there's that 1% (and we've all seen them)that bring an UNTRAINED stallion which
leaves a bad impression towards all stallions.   The only question in my mind
is why, when we see an out of control mare, we don't come away with the same
fear about those terrible, dangerous MARES.

Barb McGann, AERC # 840