[RC] Lameness, dental problems, and the chiropractor - Jena Williams

Ok, my post is not about dental, but is related to her original post. I have lurked, read and posted a bit here and there about my "new" horse, and saddle issues.

Angela, (I believe that was your name), I have never had a problem with lameness associated with dental issues, though I can see how the pain it could cause could manifest itself in the overall carriage of the horse.

What I have had was an odd intermittent lameness on my horses left. Never showed any signs at the baseline, or straight, but definitly was "short" when trotted in a circle to the left. I had an appointment with my normal vet for a lameness exam when I had an opprtunity to have him check by a vet/chiropractor.

What he found was that my poor little horse was all out of whack in the saddle area, especially the withers. And he had a "dropped shoulder". What I thought to be an asymmetrical confirmation (hence the saddle issues), an unknown lameness, and a resistant personality (I thought due to a late start at training ~7years old) was all in his back. The kinks were worked out and the shoulder was "put back" (which was amazing, by the way. Not that is was or could be done so much as to see how is was suddenly even in the points of his shoulder blades. Of course, this means he will be even wider, once the muscles fill in and adjust.)

Another point to note was though I felt something wasn't right, and 2 trainers agreed, my normal vet never found anything in his back. It wasn't that there was nothing wrong, it was just not her area of expertise and was not aware of all the signs. So even if you vet doesn't find anything, get a 2nd opinion. My regular vet was going to do a full lameness with nerve blocks. It would have taken a long time to diagnose this if we started from the ground up!

I don't have any miracle stories than that. I am taking it slow with him to let it all adjust to being in place. My gut feeling is that this is going to make a world of difference to him.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Jena & Temba