Re: [RC] Pissed off, PMSing, middle-aged cranky woman's connon-sense rules ... - DESERTRYDR1

I don't know, Karen, I think you covered it PRETTY well!  These are my
favorites:

Do not blame other people for you and your horse's failings.

Don't EVER expect anyone to slow down their horse's fast walk because YOUR
horse is jigging!

You get 6 months to a year to get your horse adjusted.....you don't get to
have a 18 yr. old green horse you have been riding for 12 years....someone else
is going to buy the new horse, and THEY get concessions made.

Have your act together in terms of tack and stuff that does not require
constant stopping and adjusting.  Do not drop
things and expect the whole group to come to a screeching halt.  Your horse
-should- be well behaved enough that you
can get off to pick up your water bottle, or pee, or adjust a stirrup and
calmly allow you to mount and catch up.

I hate it when my riding buddy constantly expects me to worry about her
horse, which is like 12 years old and she's been riding it for eight, and she
always blames all of the problems she has with it on MY horse, because my horse
goes too fast and forces hers to jig to keep up, or my horse goes too fast, so
her horse gets crazy.

I also ride with a gal who always WANTS to make concessions when my horse
jigs, by making sure my horse has her nose in front, or by going slower.  I
figure if my horse jigs, that's MY problem, either I ask her for a smooth
collected
little trot until she gets tired of jigging, or I try the give-and-release or
the loose rein thing.  Or sometimes I ask her for lateral work, and
SOMETIMES, (Oh horrendous crime) I just ignore her, and sit down real tight on
her back
until she gives it up,

I just want to RIDE!  jeri