From: <JANUSTUDIO@xxxxxx>
To: <mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Stallions

In a message dated 6/10/03 2:07:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
 No flames, just replace HORSE for stallion and I'm agreed.  Gender is no
excuse for poor behavior from ANY equine!!
 Maggie

I agree Maggie, but an out of control stallion is aggressive and can do a
lot
of damage very quickly. I've seen stallions get loose, trying to mount
anything and everything in sight. Pain doesn't faze a stallion whose mind
is in a
haze. Well, a mare did finally nail him which stunned him long enough that
someone could get a hand on his halter. But, every person and horse there
was in
danger.

An out of control mare is deadly with those hind feet!  I saw a big mare
at
Top Of The Rock giving her handler real problems (separation anxiety, and
very
disrespectful) she kicked with both hind feet at someone who was unaware
of
the melee this mare was causing. Her hooves went under the horse's neck to
where
her handler was. Just missed the gal by inches. Could have been VERY bad.
Even the vet had to hold the mare the whole time he was examining her.
No horse should even go to an event like an endurance or competitive ride
when he/she is so out of control. And, yes, calling and screaming like a
stallion
looking for a fight is unexceptable.
If this lady with the disrespectful mare had taken her out of line and had
little "prayer meeting" everyone there would have cheered. Heck, I almost
volunteered! She was embarrassed and apologetic, but did nothing to really
correct
the misbehavior.

Yes, any horse out of control is dangerous, but which loose horse would
you
rather try to catch, a mare, a gelding, or a stallion?
Stallion riders/owners must be especially vigilant for everyone's safety.
Some people just don't know how to act around a stallion, so it is up to
the
stallion handler to be on the look out. I know, I used to ride a stallion.

Jan & Rider ~ who have had their fair share of "prayer meetings"