Re: [RC] Malik - SandyDSA

Wow. Thanks for restating what SHOULD be the obvious. One SHOULD be cautious of all horses - of any gender. As my daughter told me this weekend at a ride where there was a rather hyper albeit controlled stallion bugling constantly, "being a stallion is NO excuse for being a danger". I would add that, while some people resent having to give a stallion some space simply because he is a stallion - which we do - I would suggest that ALL horses should be shown the respect of not running up on their heels or being bitten or struck at by a stranger. I had to firmly repeat my request to one rider this weekend to PLEASE stay off my heels, because I don't want a vet bills for my MARE getting stepped on from behind. The rider was somewhat put off, but...tough. Someone that close so as to nearly clip our heels is lucky they didn't get decked. Had nothing to do with gender. OTOH, we are SO spoilt with our 18 year old stallion....the new fellow coming in 3 weeks better be as kind and sensible - perhaps less sleepy....:)
In 30 plus years of distance riding, I have ridden 2 stallions.  They were both gentlemen.  Noisy at times, but polite horses.  Depends all on how they are brought up.  One should be cautious of all horses.  Even if the horse is known not to kick, one never knows what will happen.  So it behooves one to ride with caution and eyes in the back of the head at all times.

JPEG image