[RC] Pyramid Ride Story - Alicia Mansuetti

The Pyramid ride at Kentucky Horse Park this year proved to be a tough one.  Mother Nature decided to let it rain the night before the ride at least several inches.

I had ridden a few miles into both loops both Thursday and Friday to check out the trail and found no real problems on those days.  Tommy Ticktin the ride manager had warned us the night before at the ride meeting that the wet grass would be dangerous because two years ago a rider was killed on the very same steeplechase course after going over a jump and her horse landing on top of her.  Made us all a little nervous.  It started raining right before the ride meeting and did not quit until about 4:30 that morning.

Dave(my horse) and I were in the 50 mile and were both pretty nervous at the start.  About a few 100 feet into the start he starts bucking because here comes a loose horse running wild, riderless with saddle under his belly, and parts of tack flying around his feet.  Sandy Thompson advised us all to stop, and we did and she and some nice man on a paint horse held him until help came to retrieve the horse.  All the riders waited and then we started again which just made everything worse again because we were all bottle necked together on the steeple chase course.

The polo fields were fast and furious and we were up front with Sandy and Samantha along with someone on a stallion.  I had never had a stallion that close to me riding and it was pretty scary to me to have him breathing behind me.  Later along the first loop we encountered what had been the day before a little over ankle deep water.  It was now a moving river!  We were the first to cross and Dave went bravely into it.  Then he lost the bottom, we started floating and drifting down stream and I started praying he could swim because I had not ever swam with him.  Luckily he figured it out and then we hit ground again.  Everyone else came along too and we started the hard part of that 15 mile loop.  Tommy had mentioned we could ride between the corn rows but I thought I would just pick my way along the edge were hard ground would be.  Welllllll there was no edge, and with all that rain the corn fields were deep and worse than deep sand for us.  This lasted for at least 30 minutes.  Finally after the corn we looped around and started back to camp.  1 and 3/4 times around the steeplechase and we were into the vet.

All 4 of us were back out on the second loop within minutes of each other.  This loop was fun without corn and went by really quickly and within 30 plus minutes we were back at camp.  Dave had started to relax. The second time around the  steeple chase course the 25 mile leaders were coming in and I had forgotten about them.  Dave saw them racing and to race with them.  It taught me to never relax and have slack reins on that steeplechase course!!!

On the third loop someone had beaten us out of the vet by a minute or so but I wanted to ride my own ride so I did not catch them.  Sandy, Samantha and I were without the stallion this time and we seemed almost all alone for those endless corn fields.  The company was great for me and we sang and talked our way through the loop.  Sandy asked me to sponsor Samantha since I was pulsing down quicker and I agreed.

Unfortunately luck was not on my side.  Dave had a cramp in his right hip and after a second check with Matt Frazier we pulled.  The other girl who was out in front was also pulled for pulse down issues.  There was not another Egyptian in sight so if Samantha could just make it through the next loop she would win the saddle donated by the king of Morocco for the first place Egyptian horse.  After waiting on her Mom and getting a quick shoe nailed on Sandy and Samantha went out and finished 1 and 2!

Despite what Mother Nature threw at us we had fun.  Tommy and Maggie Ticktin put on a nice ride and as my daughter says the horse park is like "Disney World" for horse lovers.  The Queens Exhibit was very interesting and the horse park tour was fun as always and we did enjoy watching the Egyptian event too.  I would recommend this ride to all of those who love the whole "horse" experience, but I also recommend that you ride a seasoned horse that can be with 40 to 100 more horses on a grass race track to start and loop with two or 3 more times with during the ride.  It is an exciting ride!