[RC] Ride Story: Acadia 50 (AKA: "The Wrong 50") - sharon1359

This was our 3rd CTR, and the first 2-day that my riding buddy (Traci) and I
have tried. Our horses are also new to the sport, which we're using as a
stepping-stone to Endurance riding.

We got there around 4pm. Unloaded all our gear, paid through the nose for a
second bag of shavings for each stall (not ride management's fault), got our
stalls ready, and settled our horses in. The barns were beautiful - large, airy
stalls, and a separate stall for tack!

Vetted in, then stood in line for burgers and dogs, and afterwards, sat around
Susie's "florescent campfire" to sing cowboy songs and drink our favorite wine.

DAY ONE - 30 MILES:

Got up at 4am, and couldn't find the lightswitch in the barn. Good thing the
barn had such open outer-walls... and good thing the sun started to come up
soon.

The first 15 miles were fabulous - everyone was having a great time. Zephyr was
feeling good, and giving me his "747 trot" whenever I asked. Man I love that
feeling! We alternated between trot and canter, with some walking if they
needed a breather. It was sunny and probably mid-60's to low-70's. NO BUGS! How
nice!

At the 15-mile vet check, where the pulse parameter was 60 - Zephyr was at 52.
His respiration was a little higher than it had been at our last ride, but
still good. Trot-out went great. Both horses chowed down on the apples and
carrots, and lipped at their beet pulp slurry.

The second half of the trail was VERY confusing. Since we were riding at Acadia
National Park on the carriage trails, all trail markings had to be very
unobtrusive. Even so, several of the markers on the second half of the trail
had been sabotaged by hikers. About half of the 30 competitors took a wrong
turn and went 4 miles out of the way, then had to go back those same 4 miles to
continue on the correct trail.

Optimum ride time (no time penalties) was 5 to 5.5 hours. I've been told that
normally, if you come in more than 30 minutes late, you're disqualified. None
of us knew for sure whether ride management would decide to waive that because
of the sabotaged markings... so we really kicked ass to get back within 6
hours. So after we got lost, we did most of it at an extended trot or canter.
Traci and I both had shin splints from all the downhill trotting. There was
this one really cool section that went downhill on tight switchbacks over a
creek. A bunch of us were together at that point, and we raced down those
switchbacks side-by-side in pairs, at a nice big trot.

Traci and I got out in front of several of the horses. We were only a mile or
so from camp when Zephyr and Nettie dropped to a walk on their own. We let them
walk for a few minutes, then a pair of horses came up behind us at a trot and
both of ours got energized again. We crossed the finish line running, still
trying to beat the 6 hours. We were a few minutes over, but it wasn't our
horses' fault. They had done EVERYTHING we asked them to do, ably and
cheerfully.

As soon as we crossed the line, I got off and sat down on the ground. The shin
splint I'd developed in my left leg was KILLING me. Zephyr was a good boy...
just stood there perfectly still and looked at me, as if wondering what I was
doing down there.

It was then, that Colleen (ride manager) came over and told us not to worry...
no one would be disqualified, because half the riders went off trail... and
since it was because of sabotage. Well shoot, if we'd known, we wouldn't have
raced home! Lesson learned... sort of. I'm guessing that you can't count on a
different ride manager making the same decision in a similar situation.

At the end of Day One, the pulse parameter was 44. Normally, we'd walk in, so
the horses can get a head-start on pulsing down. But since we'd cantered in,
Zephyr got a 48. Nettie was also over, but I don't remember how much. My trot-
out went great, though... they said Zephyr still had lots of energy and looked
fabulous. In fact, as I ran the straight part of the trot-out pattern, he
actually broke into a canter right next to me! Traci's horse, unfortunately,
came up lame at the trot-out. She'd been fine on the trail, but something had
set in during the 20-30 minutes we'd been waiting to see the vet. He said it
looked like the suspensory ligament, and that if she was still tender there in
the morning, he would suggest Traci pull her.

Took care of the horses' needs, ate our dinner (lobster for Traci, chicken for
me... very yummy), massaged each others' lower legs and feet, took some Advil,
and fell asleep before we hit the sleeping bags.

DAY TWO - 20 MILES:

Ride meeting was held, to explain the trail for Day Two. I wanted to get Zephyr
out to stretch his legs, so I brought him to the meeting. (MISTAKE # ONE!) He
wanted to eat grass, and wouldn't stand still... so while I was hearing
everything, and writing down my arrows correctly, I wasn't giving it my FULL
attention.

Nettie was still sore, so Traci pulled herself from the ride. Helped me get
Zephyr ready. I almost forgot his Easy Boots, so I had to go back and put them
on in a hurry. (MISTAKE # TWO!)

It started raining.

I walked him around for a few minutes before our start time. Since Traci wasn't
riding, I was starting alone. But I was #18 out of 28 horses, so I was
confident that I'd be able to join up with folks who started after me.
Unfortunately, when they called my number and asked me to trot across the
starting line, Zephyr was clearly "off." From the sound of his footfalls, I
knew one of the boots was on wrong. Thinking about it later, I realized I could
have just ridden without them... it was only a 2:45-3 hour ride, and he would
have been fine for that long. (MISTAKE # THREE!) It took me several minutes to
remove and reset the boot, and remount. By that time, everyone else had left.
So then, I was leaving camp on the second day of riding, which Zephyr has never
been asked to do, and I was leaving last, and I was leaving alone, AND it was
raining (which Zephyr can't STAND). With no other horses around to motivate
him, I'm lucky he even agreed to go.

We walked the first bit, just in case he was still stiff from yesterday. Which
made it impossible to catch up with anyone, of course. Headed up the Bubble
Pond trail (3 miles), which was a repeat trail from the day before, at a steady
working trot. Got to the end of that section, saw the vet, and made a joke
about how tough it was to leave last. He had a confused/concerned look on his
face... gently broke the news that I was off-trail again. Apparently, at the
first turn... you guessed it... I went the wrong way. Skipped an entire 5-mile
loop around Day Mountain, and added an extra 6 miles to my day's ride because I
was going to have to turn around, go back 3 miles to the Day Mountain loop,
then come BACK up the Bubble Pond trail again. I turned around and headed back
at that same steady trot. Passed all the other riders/drivers who were going
the other (correct) way. I could hardly see them through my tears - I'd really
let my horse down. They felt so bad for me, they told me later...

Zephyr did as I asked - we went up and around Day Mountain. He would not
canter... that steady working trot was all he could give. And when I turned him
up that Bubble Pond trail again, he was less than thrilled. We were probably
halfway back to where the vet had been, when he told me in no uncertain terms
that this was NOT what he'd signed up for. He'd done 38 miles the day before
(the farthest he had ever gone), and the last half had been at a very fast
pace. The fact that he'd had to leave camp today AT ALL had been bad enough...
but he'd left camp LAST, ALONE, and IN THE RAIN. (Did I mention he can't STAND
getting rained on??) And now, I was asking him to do the SAME
TRAIL four times in two days!?!?!?! ALONE??? "No thanks, Mom, I'm going to
stand RIGHT HERE until you come to your senses and decide we've done enough!"

After some hysterics on my part, and a lot of wailing and sobbing, none of
which I am proud of, I convinced him to walk on. But a walk was all I acheived.
Nothing in the world would make him trot. At that point, knowing that I had 2
hours before I was disqualified, and that I'd technically only done 6-7 miles
of the 20, there was NO way we'd get home in time. I apologized to him, turned
around, and let him walk home as slowly as he wanted. I felt so stupid for
missing that turn... and I was so terribly upset that we would not get our
completion.

I rode into a quiet, deserted camp. As I dismounted, Colleen and several
volunteers drove in. They must have heard that I'd never made it back to the
top of the Bubble Pond trail, so they knew what had happened. Colleen came over
and hugged me. I don't know what she said, anymore... I'm sure it was something
wonderfully comforting. I cried in her arms.

I led Zephyr down to our barn, where I found Traci. Obviously, she knew
something was really wrong. I told her, through tears. She hugged me, and I
cried some more, while swearing loudly about my stupidity in missing that turn.

I was cold, wet, tired, angry at myself, and SO disappointed that my STUPID
mistake had ruined everything we'd worked so hard for. I don't really remember
removing Zephyr's tack and putting his cooler on, but I must have done so. Then
I just curled up against the side of the stall and put my head in my arms,
shaking with cold and disappointment. Traci comforted me as best she could...
she told me later she had no idea what to say. I don't blame her.

People started to come back into camp very soon. Yes, I'd been out THAT long,
and only done 7 miles of the official trail. They were only about 30 minutes
behind me coming into camp. Not wanting to seem unsportsmanlike, I wiped away
the tears. But the very first person who came up to tell me they were sorry
about what had happened, I burst out in tears again. How wussy of me. I got
lots of hugs and comforting words, but I still didn't feel any better.

Traci and I went up to the camp site so I could change into dry clothes. To be
honest, I also wanted to get away, so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone.

Later, we packed up our gear, loaded the horses, grabbed a quick bite of the
ham dinner, and headed out before the awards ceremony. I really hope no one
thought we were poor sports for doing so... I just couldn't have sat through
it. And I wouldn't have wanted my depression to spoil anyone else's moment.

Later, Traci and I were talking about it. We were already VERY PROUD of our
horses for doing 38 miles the first day; they'd given us their best effort SO
willingly - and came in strong afterwards. When you added in the 13 miles I did
on the second day, Zephyr and I actually DID do 50 miles in 2 days. They may
have been the WRONG 50 miles, but it was 50 miles nonetheless. That, and a
night's sleep, has made me feel better. I may not have the completion on my
record, but my horse and I rode 50 miles in two days. We rode hard the first
day, and faced challenges on the second day that would have made a lesser
horse "fold" much sooner. I am very proud of Zephyr, and grateful that he is
mine.

I'd like to thank Colleen, and all the wonderful volunteers and staffers. We
met lots of new people, and made some new friends. We will definitely do this
ride again... but more carefully!

And thank YOU for reading this... it's been very therapeutic to write.

-Sharon K. & Zephyr's Elegant Gift