[RC] Horses eating and drinking at rides - Jerry & Susan Milam

This past weekend I took my two geldings to WI to do our first ride of the season. One of the guys has done some LD's and 3- 50's, the other guy has never done any. Because Dandy is a newbie and Fly hasn't competed this year yet, we entered the 25 LD.

My youngster, Dandy ate and drank like he was at home, while the more competitive, experienced horse, Fly was very picky about eating or drinking while in camp. Both had good skin tenting but Fly's urine output was decreased and a darker yellow in color, not brownish, yellow. Dandy's weight after the ride didn't look much different than before the ride, but he was definitely tired. Fly, on the other hand, showed weight loss, but had plenty of go left after the finish.

It seems that the more rides Fly does, the less he will take care of himself. Do you think this is a learning curve thing with him? OR... are there some tricks someone can share of how to get my competitive guy to relax more in camp and eat and drink better ?

Thanks in advance for any tips people have to share.

My thanks also to all the great people in ride management at the ApDRA ride at the Southern Kettle Moraine State Park, especially Dawn Haas, the RM. She was absolutely great and we will be back next year.

In His Hands,

Susan, Fly Bye & Dandy

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    -Gandalf the Grey from Lord of the Rings

                            (In Light of Eternity)