Re: [RC] western endurance ride movie - Barbara McCrary

You're right about the shaving cream, and also...watch when Gene Hackman removes the saddle from his lathered horse.  There is absolutely no sweat under the saddle.  Did you also notice that the horse's breathing was very labored (in sound), but his nostrils weren't moving?  I laughed out loud in the theatre when I saw the film, and everyone turned around and looked at the crazy woman who was laughing.

Barbara McCrary
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 5:51 AM
Subject: [RC] western endurance ride movie

i watched a funny movie i had never seen before.  well, it is not a comedy, but if you watch it, you will see what i am talking about. it was made in 1975, is titled "bite the bullet", and is available on vhs.   it features candace bergen, gene hackman, and james coburn.  it is based on the great endurance race of 1908.  it contains many elements of the actual race, and there are some accurate depictions of things that occur during modern day endurance riding, tailing, vet checks, etc.  watch it just for fun.  i borrowed it from a friend of mine.  he kept telling me about those horses in the movie being all "lathered up".  it looks like they used shaving cream to get that effect!  its a hoot!      ed