RE: [RC] Fw: Slowing down speedy horse (Easy Early to Win Later) - Stagg_Newman

Alison,

My complements to you for finding a solution that works well with you
horse.
Believe the key factors were:
  You have him well trained
  He slowed down and calmed down fairly quickly.
  You then rode a sensible pace
WELL DONE!

Unfortunately with Super if I let him get too wired at the start, it can
take him about
25 miles to calm down.  (But I was warned when I bought him as an unbroken
3 year old that he was wired).  Drubin is similar although at 20 getting a
bit more sensible (barely :>) )

BTW you reminded me that I was once told that horses in the wild when
scared will run
5 to 10 minutes and then slow down.  The theory was this is how long it
takes to use
use up the excess adrenalin, etc.  Do not know if there is any validity to
that theory so
would like to see some of our physiological experts (Susan, Heidi) weigh
in.

Best,

Stagg

                    "Alison Farrin"

                    <alison@innovativep        To:
<Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    ension.com>                cc:

                    06/02/2003 04:12 PM        Subject:     RE: [RC]   Fw:
Slowing down speedy horse (Easy Early to Win
                                               Later)

I shouldn't even presume to disagree with Stagg, but I'm going to, just
a bit. <G>

I too was told not to let the horse go too fast, so we started every
ride with me doing everything possible to make him go slow. So we jigged
and we piaffed and we cantered sideways and we did a lot of canter buck
at 6 mph and by the first vet check the horse was tired and the rider
was exhausted.

In the interest of my survival, I compromised.  We started fast at a
nice rocking canter - 12-15 mph.  Within a mile or so, he would let me
slow him down to a fast trot.  By mile 3, he was pretty content to go
whatever speed I wanted.  I had a lot more horse at  vet one - and after
50 miles - than I did when I fought for 15 miles to keep him to 7 mph or
less.

Now this is one of those horses who does dressage in his other life and
was well behaved except at the start of a ride.  So he fits the picture
of the horse that just temporarily loses his brain at the start. He did
eventually realize that we were going a long way and it wasn't worth
going fast and these days we will calmly walk off the starting line.   I
don't think this would work for the horse that wants to go fast until he
falls over.  But it might be worth trying on the horse that's obedient
all the way to the starting line.......

So, too fast for 12-15 miles; I absolutely agree with Stagg.
Alternatively, a spanking good pace for the first mile or two may be
just what everyone needs to settle some nerves.

Alison A. Farrin
Innovative Pension
Innovative Retirement Services
858-748-6500 x 107