Re: [RC] completion awards - DAldr94141

In order for us to have wonderful trails here in the Cuyahoga Valley in Ohio, our Ohio Horseman's Council puts on a CTR. If nobody volunteers to take on this huge task, then the ride doesn't go on. Luckily, we are having our 13th annual. It's our biggest fund raiser and every cent goes toward our trails (bridges, culverts, work trail parties, etc.)
That being said, there are very few of us volunteers (5) who actually put on this big event and this year, our ride manager who did most of the work has never even been in a ride. In the last 2 yrs. that I've been doing this, at the meetings, we'll get people asking us for their awards and their papers so they can go home even while they are being tallied. There is no way I can do that. It's in the secretary's and her helpers hands and they are trying to be sure who got what. There was a mistake 2 yrs. ago and people left with the wrong awards. Our awards consist of many wonderful things like saddle racks, rubber mats, gift cert. for horse magazines, etc. I work hard on getting these and for them to go to the wrong people because they pushed us to get the math done fast makes me upset. (Our award meeting is done around 3pm. depending on how many participate) Then I'm asked to please mail the award. Kinda hard if you've won buckets, fly spray, saddle pads, etc. I have to mail them with money out of my own pocket and then get paid for it later from the club.
We try to get things done fast for you but sometimes pushing me to push the secretary just isn't fair. They work very hard for nothing, well, a t-shirt.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Deb