Re: [RC] Fw: Slowing down speedy horse (Easy Early to Win Later) - Stagg_Newman

The question was asked if one should slow down a speedy horse early in a
race,
even if one has to fight the horse.
ABSOLUTELY!
You should slow down the horse for three reasons,
the first two two of which are for the welfare of the horse.

1.  Horses that go fast early have a much higher probability of metabolic
problems.
The combination of the stress from the flight hormones kicking into gear,
the more
rapid build-up of heat and lactic acid, etc. just sets the horse up for
problems.
2.  Horses that go fast early, particularly early in their career are more
likely to
have soundness problems.
3.  Riders that let their horses go too fast early are much more likely to
not
finish at all.  If your goal is "to finish is to win" or even if you goal
is to top
ten and get BC or even win, careful pacing early greatly increases your
chance of "winning".

So now here is one of the "trade secrets" that many experienced riders have
learned:
SAVING HORSE EARLY PAYS HUGE DIVIDENDS LATER.

Many people to not realize how  fast miles early really deplete the
reserves of horse!!!
And will penalize you later, particularly for young horses.

Now for some specific examples.

Joe Long noted that when the sport first went to gates into holds, he came
into the first checkpoints well behind the leader.  His horse Kahlil
recovered right
away and Joe had just moved past the blitzing front runners.

For many years in the '80s and early '90s  the Race of Champions was
the AERC ride that drew the best competition from around the country.
While I do not have the detailed stats, I believe year after year
less than 25% of the early  front runners even finished.

At the 1991 North American Championship, my wife and I were on the P&R
Crew.
At the first check we kept looking for the favorites, Becky Hart on Rio,
who had
at the time won two World Championships, and Darla Westlake on Muffy, who
had won more rides and BCs than any horse in AERC history.  They came in
well back of the leaders, maybe in 20th place or so.  At the last
checkpoint
Rio and Muffy came in together and pulsed down within a couple of minutes
in the lead.  It was at least another hour before the next horse came into
the
check point!!!  BTW Muffy won that day in a sprint at the finish.

At the 1992 AERC National Championship in Iowa we started in 19 degree F
weather.  Many riders let their horses go fast in the cold weather.
My wife and were somewhere around 17th and 18th at the first check point.
We finished first and second.

At the Carolina 100 last year, 9 riders, some rather experienced, set a
blistering
pace in the cool windy weather.  Steve Rojek, one of the best riders in the
country
was not among them.  Steve won the ride, while I am not sure any of the 9
finished.

At the Biltmore 100, earlier this year I did the first 14 mile loop about a
minute
slower than the front runners (and was told I was somewhere between 15th
and 25th at the first check point).  However, my horse, Jayel Super,
recovered
in two minutes, so I made much of the time up as the front runners took 10
minutes or so to come down.  Again on the second loop the front runners
went a bit faster but I made up time at the hold by again recoverying in
two minutes.  So after about 33 miles, the front runners had ridden the
trail
15 to 20 minutes faster than I but only had a few minutes lead.  Needless
say my horse was the fresher horse.   And we were fortunate enough to
stay sound and go onto to win and get BC.

BTW I have repeatedly learned this lesson the hard way.  The rides that I
have not finished (and I have had my share) have frequently been the rides
where I did not have the discipline to force myself and the horse to slow
down.

So how do you teach the horse to not race.  Typically with the hot horse
(and my two best horses have been hot), with lots of hard work over
several years.  Some of the ideas I recommend.
1.  Lots of basic equitation lessons so the horse learns to obey the aids.
2.  Lots of training on the trails with other horses, where the horse is
taught
to let other horses go.
3.  Starting rides well after the leaders go, particularly with young
horses.
Wait 5 even 10 or 15 minutes if necessary.
4.  Quickly try to get with just a couple of other horses traveling at the
type of pace you want to travel at.
5.  And yes fighting like hell if necessary.  After Drubin's first 50 in
1988,
I had bursitis for several months from pulling back on the reigns.
It went away until I took Super on his first 50 in 1998 when I again got
bursitis.  :>(
But it was worth it.

As Dr. Matthew Mackay Smith, AERC HOF rider and vet (and the only person to
win Tevis and OD
in the same year on the same horse!) says:
"Never hurry, never tarry."

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.