[RC] Riding Arabs - Sundaez

Yesterday I went up to the trainer's to ride my arab mare. I had gotten her last Nov. as greenbroke so the trainer was doing some finishing with her. He's into reining so has taught her some rollbacks and flying changes, etc. Also he knew I wanted this mare for endurance so he worked on extending her trot.

As I said yesterday was my first ride on her. I had ridden her a few times before but only at a walk and buck <g>. Anyway the trainer warned me she is now very light and responsive. Said she has lots talent and is so athletic could do almost anything.

Well...riding an athletic Arab is *differnet* than anything I have ridden before. Every move you make on means something so you better be ready. You just think about turning and she's there. So....I'm not used to all this. Got on her and immediately lost a stirrup....did the "freeze and squeeze" and of course she thought that meant "go faster." She is built kinda downhill so it feels like you are riding on the dashboard. (there's not much wither there to hold you in! <g>) Then I was out of balance listing to the side...CLUTCHING the horn like a newbie yelling "whoa whoa." Decided to one rein her and oh boy be careful what you ask for in a responsive horse! Long story short I *almost* came off...but not quite.

Trainer said "now I know you can ride...I've seen you before...but you didn't look like you could just now." My confidence is shaken. How the heck am I going to ride this mare on the trial with 50 other horse? Trainer said I will get used to her...and once I do I won't want to ride any other horse.

Can anyone relate?

Melanie Snowhite
Poway, CA.