[RC] What did your horse teach you??? - Tamara Taylor

Hi List,

I am interested to hear what you all have to say about this topic. How did that
one special horse in your life touch you, and what did you learn from it?

My first horse, Spook, was a real rotter. He was a 17 year old grade gelding
that my parents bought for me when I was 11. None of us knew what we were
looking for in a horse. We bought Spook because he was old which we though =
experienced. Note to self: Sometimes old doesn't = experienced but rather
crotchey and mean! Yikes! He learned that by rearing up and hitting me with his
giant head I would come off. He taught me a lot about sticking to my guns,
being tough and getting back on when I felt like running home crying. He was a
nasty old beast but I think I am a better rider because of him.

My second (and current) horse, Magnum, taught me a lot about trust and
confidence. We got him when he was a green 4 year old Arab x QH. After riding
Spook I was afraid to relax when riding and was tense the whole time. Magnum
taught me that there are horses out there that are gentle and forgiving. He
made riding fun for me. He is a great friend and we are still going strong 10
years later. He's been there for me thru my teen years, a car accident 4 years
ago where I broke my pelvis and still cannot ride normally, my graduation, the
dating years, the challenges of university and my wedding. I consider him my
oldest, most loyal, trusted friend. He has taught me so much about love and
life.

So who is your special horse and what has he/she taught you?

Tamara Taylor
Saskatoon, SK
Naturally Reared Boxers and Versatile Sporthorses
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/redhorse/index.html