Re: [RC] Grain At Rides - Maggie Mieske

Susan G says not to feed a big carb/grain meal 4 hours before the ride.  I generally give them lots of small meals the day before, the last one before I go to bed about 9 or 10 a.m.  Usually every couple of hours if they are cleaning up what they are getting.  And it's mixed half and half with their regular grain mix (my own Maggie's Mix) plus a scoop of electrolytes and a scoop of Quadra Fac (probiotic).  HOWEVER, in retrospect, I have to wonder if I overdid the feeding the day before our 100.  He ate A LOT and I was worried about him having lots of energy to go on.  He doesn't usually get that much before a 50.  In fact, I usually cut down the GRAIN portion and add extra beet pulp.  Hmmmm....something to think about.  I was thinking maybe the difference in gut sounds was varied due to the different vets.  Maybe I should have stuck with my tried and true method for 50s.  I was just so worried about him not having enough!  :)  I will be interested in reading everyone else's feedback on this...
Maggie