[RC] [RC] award perspectives - Deanna German

It seems to be customary in these parts to give something to those who
didn't complete as well as to those who did. As I mentioned, ride volunteers
are also given something, usually the completion award.

In the short time I've been involved in distance riding, I have had to
allocate an entire shelf in my closet to T-shirts. I know EXACTLY which ones
I earned by riding and how many miles I did, even though those who did as
many or more miles were given the same thing. I know which ones were
volunteer gifts. And I know which one was graciously given to me despite the
fact that I was overtime. (It mocks me.)

Yeah, the ones earned by riding have special significance to me. THOSE are
my completion awards. That doesn't mean I don't like the others or wish I
didn't have them or had something different that wasn't the same as the
completion award.

IOW, I know which ones are completion awards and which ones aren't. That's
OK by me.

Deanna
PS - love your version of the serenity prayer, Angie!

--------------------------------------

Angie wrote:
To tell you the truth, when I'm winning top 10, ranked in the points, and
very much a contender for BC it doesn't even cross my mind. I  have a lot
at stake at the awards and have a real reason to be there and pay
attention.  It was when I was a beginner that it mattered.  A completion
was a big deal to me....

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA
God grant me the Serenity to enjoy a sound horse when I have one. The
self control to not ride a questionable horse when I have one, and the
wisdom to know the difference.

Dot wrote:
So you successfully finished an endurance ride.  Great.   How does
the fact that your buddy who didn't finish gets to wear the same T
shirt lessen your accomplishments?> Lighten up a little.  No need to
rain on their parade, doesn't hurt  you a bit.