Re: [RC] Feeding the volunteers - Heidi Smith

Hope this doesn't seem like a silly question. I have to say that as a
"newbie" to the sport of endurance riding (this is my first year of
competing in LD's) I am impressed with the volunteers, management and vets
who somehow all try to take care of us despite the craziness sometimes!
Per
southern tradition, I would like to show some appreciation by bringing
some
homemade comfort food goodies to set out for the ride staff. I need ideas
on
what type of foods work well (you know, being outside all day, something
almost everyone likes, maybe something not too heavy?). Suggestions or
experiences welcome.  Thanks all!

Connie, what a sweet idea!  Bless you!  I can tell you that my basic premise
about food is that All Food Made By Someone Else Is Good!  In hot weather,
cool food is particularly good.  In cold weather, hot food is particularly
good.  Main thing for feeding volunteers is to make it easy for them to grab
and eat quick.  In hot weather, put cool food in a good cooler, and provide
disposable containers in which to convey it from cooler to mouth.  And make
it easy to dispose of the disposable containers with a conveniently placed
garbage receptacle of some sort.  Beyond those few suggestions, believe me,
virtually ANYTHING provided is appreciated!

Heidi