[RC] starting times - LRN8554

>I've been on at least two 50's where I was riding slow (finish times of 8
>1/2 - 9 1/2 hours) and in the first loop was nearly mowed over by the front
>running 25's.  At one of them a rider literally galloped through the middle
>of the group of 5 riders I was with.  While I know that that's a minority
>group, it's hard to get that image out of my head.
   I've only ridden 6 LD's but the last 2 started the 25 milers only 30 minutes after the 50 milers which certainly meant we had a lot more traffic to get around.  Is this a good idea?   I ride my horse in the LD's because it's just a speeded up version of the trail rides she does 2-3 times a week and I feel like it is not going to hurt her.  I never ride more than 20-25 miles on my trail rides so I feel like a 50 miler would probably stress her AND I can only guess at how  badly I would feel.   Linda Norton