Re: [RC] re: LD - Truman Prevatt

Tempest in a teapot is about the best description I can think of to describe this recurring debate. What seems to work to keep 25 milers from running over the tail end 50's is if you can't send them out on a different trail at the beginning is to simply start the LD's an hour - maybe even an hour and 1/2 after the 50's.

I have seen the reverse situtation on ride with a 25 mile loop with an out of camp check about the middle where the two 50 milers running hell bent for first place came blasting through a group of pony clubers (juniors) that were doing the 25 slow about two miles from the end in a section of narrow woods trails. Needless to say the pony clubers sponsor was not a happy camper and I can't blame him. So it's not just the 25 milers that have no manners on the course.

Truman

Heidi Smith wrote:

Is this a tempest in a teapot?  We used to see major problems with what we
now call LDs back when rides as short as 25 miles were allowed for overall
points.  (This was also in the days before Fit-To-Continue, which further
added to the lack of control on short distances.)  Then for a time AERC
simply did not sanction anything less than 50 miles.  Period.  Then LD was
born--with a different philosophy and eventually with the additional control
of the clock continuing to run until the pulse comes down.  We cannot get
rid of abusive riders, but we seem to do a pretty good job of containing
them on LDs.  The few "career racers" on LDs do seem to be doing them on fit
horses, and the majority of LD riders, in my experience, are not racing.
FWIW, at many rides, the front-running 50's are FASTER than the
front-running LDs, and it is a "fast" LD where the front runners even equal
the 50 pace.

And if front-running LDs are "mowing down" slow 50-milers, that is a ride
management issue--RMs need to look at course design and starting intervals,
and eliminate the problem.  It isn't necessarily just the fault of the LD
riders for "going too fast."

Heidi