[RC] managment and completion awards - oddfarm

On completion awards, I don't remember if I gave out shirts before or after but I did give them to everyone. You can ask my kids, husband and trainer Wendy and I think they will all agree, I am not soft hearted. In fact, trainer Wendy says I have no heart, especially when she breaks her elbow and I still make her go get beer. (Who knew? Besides, it was just a six-pack, not like a case or anything really heavy. She had another arm for crying out loud!).

The reason I gave everyone a shirt was because it takes a lot to get to a ride. The hours of training, money spent on supplies and entry fees, gas and time off work for most people makes it hard for me to let them leave empty handed. Sometimes a did-not-complete is out of the riders control anyway like a lost shoe, tripping, rider can't finish,etc,. Just because you didn't finish, doesn't mean you didn't try really hard to finish.

And with all the griping about LD rides and nobody knowing how to ride them properly, why wouldn't RM reward a rider for making the smart choice not to complete if their horse wasn't capable and as well prepared as they could have been? Let's see...if I race and win, I get a shirt but I don't deserve it because it is just a LD training ride and I am nothing but a hot-rod. If I don't race, go overtime or choose not to complete or get pulled, I don't deserve to be acknowledged for what I attempted to do on a training ride. Things that make you go...Hmmmm?

Now that I am back to riding Odd Todd, I will be using a select few LD's for speed work. That's training, right?
Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?