Re: [RC] LD BC?? - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 5/29/2003 12:53:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
glenn218@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm playing with this discussion in my head and wondering about time.  If
someone took an average horse and poked around on a LD, they could, in
theory, win BC over the horse that went a little faster and actually did the
work.  (I've got a personal bias against WALKING the biggest part of any
distance and claiming to have the best endurance horse around.)
One thought I had was to have nice completion awards and take the motivation
away from racing.  The next thought was to just weigh vet scores and weight
and only judge the first 10 to reach criteria...in other words, take speed
out and leave
everything else the same.

To take this a step farther, what about eliminating horses younger than 5 from
BC judging in LD rides?  That might eliminate some of the motivation for people
to race 4 yr olds.  Of course, there will always be those who will race
youngsters to try and "win" or top ten, and then again, this would just raise
the age of horses being raced in LD to 5.  At least it might protect some of
the young horses who aren't yet fully developed.  I must admit I don't really
have a problem with people riding LDs fast, *if* their horse is in shape for it
and mature enough.  But it does tend to make anyone with a horse 48 months old
think that they can do that too, and 25 miles is a short enough distance to
make them think they can get away with it, unlike a 50, which is long enough to
make (most) people think a little.  I'm starting to ramble, so guess I'll stop.
<G>

Dawn in East Texas (who hasn't been doing this sport long enough to have a lot
of useful input, but hates to see horses overridden in any distance))