Re: [RC] Fw: Slowing down speedy horse - Tiffany D'Virgilio

on 5/28/03 1:44 PM, Connie Owens at koinsavvyup@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Sarah,
Here are a couple of ideas for you that have worked for me when I want to
stay off of my horses face and yet accomplish some slowing down.  I
suggest
you practice these exercises at home before you get on the trail.

I have a question. What do you do if this only happens on the first loop of
a ride? Can't really practice at home, because she doesn't pull anything at
home.  At home mare is respectful, never need to touch her face, does half
pass, lateral work, backs up great, etc. On the first loop she is a maniac.
I wait until the main group has left for about 10 minutes then start. She
knows horses are up ahead and has a fit. I have to pull on her, she fights
with me, jigs, canters in place even down hills, runs over me if I try to
lead her. Ugh. We have tried and finished 4 50's and have another this
weekend.
Nobody would know it is the same mare from loop 1 to loop 3. She becomes
easy, could ride in a halter, rates with my seat and if she spies another
horse she lengthens her trot and motors until she passes them. Should I let
her go with the pack/leaders and see how she does? It seems my plan of
slowly getting her used to rides isn't working and she uses more energy
having the fit, jigging, sweating, tossing her head, etc than she would just
going out at speed. She gets better as the day goes on, has had years of LSD
and has completed all her starts with energy to spare. She is 11.
I want her to do some multidays, figuring this might teach her to rate
herself better, but in the meantime, help! I have a feeling she will make a
great 100 horse too if we can get over this hump, and since I am never
selling her, I figured maybe some of you more experienced ride people could
help. I started this mare myself, and did everything correctly and slowly.
As I said, at home she is fine, couldn't ask for a better mount, and for the
latter 35 miles of a 50 she is the same way.
TIA, Tiffany