[RC] Sport saddle for short-backed horse? - Karen Casemier

I looked in the archives for information, but I couldn't quite customize the search enough to find what I needed.

I know a lot of people use and love the Sport saddle for endurance riding. I have a Morgan with the typical broad shoulders and flat back of the breed, and she also is extremely (and I mean extremely) short-backed.

I'm going to get a Desoto custom saddle for her - but that is going to take six months. I'm looking for something I can use in the meantime, and something that I can use on our new horse (keep your fingers crossed -vet check tomorrow) who is a slightly different shaped Morgan (actually has withers, more length, not as flat-backed, still has the broad shoulders. Basically, a second saddle that will become the primary saddle for the second horse once I get my custom saddle. And something I can use if she porks out over the winter until she gets back into a semi-normal shape. I could have swore I read multiple messages about this saddle causing rubbing behind in the shorter-backed horses, but I can't find those messages now (unless I wade through all the thousands of messages about Sport saddles!).

Also wondering about how it rides - I've always ridden English, and really like a saddle to put me in the correct dressage position (shoulder/hip/heel alignment).

Any comments about the Sport saddle for this particular horse? Also, my husband is considering one as well - I don't think the new horse will have the fitting problems I have with my current mare, but he's not that experienced of a rider, and I wonder how much support he'll get from the Sport saddle.

Thanks!

Karen and Mazzie, the impossible to fit Morgan.