Re: [RC] truck lengths - Joe Long

This is almost like arguing politics or religion, but what the hell...

On Thu, 22 May 2003 20:51:40 -0400, Jim Holland <lanconn@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

Alison Farrin wrote:

The tires that came on it have gone over 40,000 miles.

Yup...and now you get to buy SIX tires instead of four.

Tires on dual wheels get more scrubbing (different turning radius, no
differential between them to even that out) and don't wear as well in
my experience.

It gets better
mileage than a 4x4 and the traction is almost is good.

Ain't no way gas mileage is better unless you drive in 4x4 all the
time...and no way traction is almost as good...I've owned both...unless
you're talking about driving on pavement all the time.

Agreed (I've owned both).  And no, the traction is nowhere close to
being as good.  A 4x4 will go through conditions that will leave the
dually thoroughly stuck.  Having the front (steering) wheels pulling
contributes to stability and safety, too.

If you are turning in slick conditions, the dually is still trying to
push the front wheels -- which are at an angle to the duallies,
creating more resistance.  With a 4x4 the front wheels are pulling in
the direction they're turned.  That helps a LOT.  So does having ALL
wheels on the truck pulling, none resisting.

I can go 80 mph
down the freeway in 60 mph crosswinds pulling a trailer with a camper on
the truck and not notice.

Likewise with most any 3/4 ton. I hauled a full size Lance Bed Camper, a
three horse slant load bumper pull with three horses in it and got 16
mpg in the Chevy I had before I got my current Dodge...and it was steady
as a rock...in a hurricane!

Agreed.  I noticed an advantage to the dually when I had a pickup
camper on the bed, none when towing a trailer.

Idiot horse in the trailer scrambling all
over the place does not disturb my dually.

Nor does it any 3/4 ton properly equipped.

Agreed.

Its always got weight in it> - so the ride is nice.

How about when you're NOT carrying weight?

We had a pet name for my first dually ... "The Balrog."  It was black,
big, and mean ... but I wouldn't call the ride "nice."

Parking and walking to the restaurant helps burn
calories i didn't need anyway.

Hmmm..good point. <grin>

Don't know what a deck is, but I can > park it in any normal (non compact) >
parking space.

Parking decks....I can't afford a "social" vehicle and a truck.

Fully loaded and
pulling a big 2 horse I get 13.5 mpg.

I get 17 with my Dodge (Cummins Diesel)...pulling a two horse slant load
with two horses and 100 gallons of water in the bed.

I get somewhere in between pulling my three-horse gooseneck w/camper
quarters, with the Ford powerstroke diesel, 3/4 Ton 4x4, supercab.

If I blow a rear tire, I just
keep driving (although slower).

Hmmm...I've NEVER blown a tire....in 50 years of owning a truck.

I haven't blown one one my 4x4, but I have on my duallies.  Once on my
way to a ride I had THREE blowouts!  Had to buy new tires on the road,
at premium prices.

Actually, I had three duallies -- two one-ton pickups and a motorhome.
The motorhome absolutely needed the duallies, but it was a tire-eater
(no doubt the 12,000 pounds of motorhome plus the weight of the
trailer hitch had something to do with that!).  And once when I blew a
rear tire the tread came off and caused a lot of expensive damage to
the undercarriage.

If you overload it, it doesn't get
squirrelly, it just squats.

Real advantage...if you're hauling Noah's Ark or bricks.

I LIKE My Dually!

There was a lot a liked about mine, but I wouldn't have one again for
a horse-trailer tow vehicle on a bet.

Then it's the truck for you! :) That's why them make 'em!

That's the bottom line ... different strokes for different folks.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx