[RC] Pregnancy and Riding - RANDY N MICHELLE

I always felt that I would ride when pregnant, until a local county gal that I grew up with had a terrible accident while almost term.  She insisted on riding right up to delivery, just like she had done with her first.  One afternoon she saddled up her trusty old QH mare who was older than dirt and a lifelong companion for a slow walk down a familiar trail.  Well, the horse scared up a quail and got spooked, dumping Becky.  The horse went home, leaving Becky to walk all the way home.  By the time she got home she was bleeding, rushed to the hospital, and delivered a premature baby with some paralysis and mental retardation.  In the fall, apparently she tore her placenta and deprived the baby of oxygen, which caused the baby to stroke.  Awful outcome.  The baby is now 8 yrs. old and attending a special school.  She's a beautiful little girl, but you wonder what could have been.  Needless to say, I never set foot on a horse through all 4 of my pregnancies.  That gave me lots of time to do lunging, ground driving, long lining, and obstacles on foot.  I'm not saying that everyone that rides while pregnant is going to hurt their baby.  But, I am saying that even the most seasoned deadbroke horse can trip, shy, fall or stumble.  I think the first trimester is relatively safe, but once you start showing and getting larger, your body changes and that makes it even harder to ride safely.  Your center of gravity changes, all of your joints begin to loosen to prepare for delivery, and you get very top heavy.  I think it's just a risky proposition.  I chose not to take the gamble, and I think Becky would have changed it all if she could have.  Just my two cents---  Make sure you get your rest!!!  That is my sound advice!!  Congrats!  Michelle Wilson