[RC] silly questions re electrolytes - Karen Bratcher

Re the homemade electrolytes with crushed Tums... okay, this is a dumb question, but when Tums hit my stomach they react with the acid making gas, causing me to burp.  Does it not affect the horses that way?  Not enough Tums to make much difference?  I was just wondering, having just gone through a mild colic with the aged mare last night (no, she hadn't had e'lytes or any dietary changes, no idea what caused it).

And, how do you keep syringes working?  I've been using two 60cc syringes the past 10 days to orally administer crushed antibiotic pills mixed with applesauce to my colt.  After washing a couple of times, the plungers started sticking badly.  I've tried coating the plunger rubber and the syringe insides with a little oil, and spraying with Pam.  It helps but not completely.

Thanks,

Karen Bratcher
Athol, Idaho