RE: [RC] [RC] blue heelers on trail - giltmead - Deanna German

I wouldn't worry too much about your dog getting hurt -- he's a heeler and
bred to work with livestock. He knows where those hooves are. Most dogs with
the remotest sense of self-preservation also learn to speak "horse" pretty
well.

I disagree with Jean's advise for hand signals. (Aren't your hands supposed
to be on the reins? And what happens when the dog either can't see you or,
just as likely to happen, chooses not to look?)

I suggest an obedience or an agility class. Either would give you some tools
and methods to train a command to move your dog out and away from you, yet
still under your control. (Both of my dogs know the "git" command. Not very
sophisticated, but it's effective.)

Since he's a herding dog, he should take to agility like a duck to water and
that might actually be more useful to you than obedience -- although I think
basic obedience is the foundation for everything and that every dog should
be obedience trained. If you want to talk at length, look me up at Sheltowee
this weekend. I won't have my dogs with me, so I'll need a dog fix. Or email
me directly at finishis2win(at sign)columbus.rr.com I'm quite involved in
dog training and love to talk about it. I might even be able to help you
find dog training help in your area or refer you to some dog training books.

Look on the bright side, at least you don't seem to have to worry about
being able to call him back!

Deanna (Ohio)

Been taking my blue heeler out to the National Forest when I condition with
a very tolerant friend and her horse (thanks Janice!)? My problem is the dog
stays 'bracketed' between my horse's ears at a trot-she is tooo close to my
horse's feet. Or if I'm behind she stays right on the horse ahead? heels.?
At a gallop down forest roads she wants to stay in 'heel' position close
beside the horse's left front leg and acts like she'd like to cut in front
of the horse.? Don't want my friend or her horse hurt or my special little
fur friend either.? How do youall handle this????
?
Cordially,
?
Mary Lynn