[RC] Northeast Morab 25 CTR - We're getting there! (Part Two) - sharon1359

Friday's trot-out went absolutely great - Zephyr was relaxed and didn't fight
the whole idea, and didn't break out of a trot. Nettie also did well.

We began saddling an hour before the ride started at 8 - our ride time was 8:16
so we were ready to mount up at about 8:10. Nettie immediately started acting
up, nearly unseating Traci the moment her butt hit the saddle. The next 6
minutes were a bit dicey for Traci! Zephyr started acting up a bit as well,
but a few one-rein stops ended that nonsense.

Traci and Nettie ended up crossing the start line backwards (Nettie is
apparently directionally challenged), then turning to trot off towards the
trail at a huge extended trot. As soon as Zephyr crossed the line, he decided
that he wanted to buck... and buck he did. One-rein stop... trot... buck... one-
rein stop... trot... finally got him straightened out and called for Traci to
wait for us to catch up.

The first water stop was only about a mile away, and I was very proud of Zephyr
for drinking nice and deep there. :)

The trail was mostly dirt roads, with a short section of woods trail and a bit
of dirt shoulder along paved roads.  Most areas were very trottable.  The route
was straight-out-straight-back, which made for easier pacing.

We set a great pace, and hit the 5-mile marks right on time. Got in and out of
the hold in exactly 20 minutes, thanks to the excellent volunteers there!
(Zephyr had pulsed down by the time I dismounted; I was SOO proud!) Both Traci
and I had food and water in our saddlebags, but finally accepted some snacks
from the volunteers... they seemed so concerned about us that we didn't want to
turn them down. ;)

Our final goal, that of arriving right in the middle of the allowable time, was
also easily acheived. It helped that we knew exactly what the trail would be
like, as it was the same trail we'd ridden out on.

Zephyr drank a bunch of water and then stood like a rock at the trailer when we
returned to camp; at the trot-out, he had lots of energy... unfortunately he
used it to break into a canter and generally act pissed off about the whole
thing. Lost some points for that... guess he still needs some work! LOL

He did pretty well for his second CTR, though... we top tenned, which I never
expected.  I'd like to thank Ride Management for a wonderful experience. It was
a great second-CTR for Traci and I, and our horses. We've got some new goals
for our next ride - but isn't that always the way?

PS: Zephyr and Nettie were both still going SO STRONGLY at the end of the ride,
we wished we could do the whole thing over again.  We've decided to do the Pine
Tree 50... guess that goal of starting Endurance 50s got moved up a bit... ;)

Happy Trails,
-Sharon Kenney and Zephyr's Elegant Gift ("Mom, don't worry, I can handle it.")