[RC] Never, never, never - C. Eyler

We've all heard it a zillion times.  Never use new tack, wear new clothes, try new electrolytes, etc. at a competition.  Well, same goes for a long conditioning ride.

Went out with a friend yesterday, planning to ride 4+ hours.  Instead of using my cantle pack, I stuffed an EZ boot (one of each size my gelding wears) in the pouches of my pommel pack, the kind of pack that fits over the top of the pommel of my SportSaddle.  Realized before long that this arrangement effectively made my saddle's seat a bit smaller, but it didn't seem to be a serious problem -- just annoying.  Until about three hours into our ride.  Then it felt like my butt was smashed up against the cantle, and my lower back began to ache.  By the end of our ride I could tell that I was tired because my posting had become rather sloppy.

Back at the trailer, I untacked my horse and found that his back was sore in the cantle area.  And my lower back was killing me.

Today, I hurt all over.

So my new credo is -- try out all new stuff (or new arrangements of old stuff) on short rides.  If it works okay (is not annoying) for an hour or two, then try it on a longer ride.  'Annoying' is not acceptable, because with enough miles it becomes a 'problem.'

Cindy