[RC] dodge 1500 towing a 3 horse trailer - Karla Watson

I recently took a F-150 (1/2 ton) with a small camper and lite 2 horse trailer with one horse to a ride up and over a mountain. I was within my limits for towing but just barely. I was with my family and it was a white knuckle truck ride. Mostly the downhills were hairy. Even though the 150 had a beefed up suspension, overweight bars and a larger engine (5.8), it was not fun. So I went out the next week and bought a new truck, a F-350 crew cab with the V-10 fully loaded. Then I went to another ride and what a difference! I forgot I was towing! The downhills are where I noticed it the most. The trailer was not pushing the truck down the hill. Very stable now. Consider how hard it is to brake all that you are towing. Yes, much better to have more truck than you need than barely enough. But sadly I have BIG truck payments now.....

Karla Watson
Portland, Oregon