[RC] [Guest] Marcia Harmon - Californios - Ridecamp Guest

Kim Christlieb kchristlb@xxxxxxx

I've just returned from the hospital in Santa Clarita/Newhall, where I've
spent the past three days intermittently visiting Marcia, handling hospital
patient admission logistics, tying down things at her house in Tehachapi,
picking up her dogs to temporarily add to my herd, parking her rig.

For those of you who are not aware, Marcia is one of my closest friends, and
my friends are in fact, my family.

Upon my arrival home tonight, I went to the Ridecamp Archives, as they often
provide some entertainment and a distraction.  I must say I'm stunned by the
misinformation that is being distributed.

Here are the facts.

Her family is gathered at the hospital, and have been since shortly after
her arrival there Saturday.  In fact, over the weekend we stayed in her
daughter and son in laws motor home, camped in the parking lot.  Someone has
been at here bedside nearly round the clock.

Marcia's support group is taking care of her house and her animals, and many
thanks go out to her friends and neighbors who helped get her rig and
animals home safely to Tehachapi.

Her horse has been checked (he's fine) and is being cared for.

She has NOT had brain surgery.   She is not in a "room" to be "peeked at."
She is in intensive care, and is in and out of coherency. Eleanor - I am not
sure who's room you "peeked" into, but I am sure your intentions where good
and appreciated by whomever you might have looked in on.  The ICU unit at
Henry Mayo is a secure area, requiring clearance through a phone outside to
attain entry.  The unit is a large open area, and can get pretty noisy, as
Henry Mayo is the only trauma unit serving a VERY large area.  As of the
last few days, they have been VERY busy.  The staff has been wonderful, and
she is receiving excellent care.

She has a head injury, manifested on a CAT scan as several small
intercranial bleeds, primarily on the right side of her brain, which has
impacted her movement and mobility on her left side.

She is NOT medicated; at her request, she is not being given pain meds.  She
was given morphine upon admission, but she did not like the fogginess it
produced, and since her request, the doctors and nurses have honored it.

She has had repeated CAT scans, and there is no change from the initial
scan: no deterioration, which is excellent news.  She has not yet had an
MRI, but is scheduled for tomorrow.  The MRI is a 2 hour plus procedure,
mainly to gain more information.  CAT scans where performed initially when
she came in, yesterday, and today, to monitor any critical changes.  Again,
thankfully, there have been none.

There is, so far, no long term diagnosis.   Time will tell, as is the case
with any brain trauma.  The doctor feels very strongly that she will make a
full recovery, but at this point, the length of that road is unclear.

There has been no surgery.

We are gathered around her, letting her know that we've picked up the pieces
of her life. She is aware she is in the hospital, and that she came off her
horse. We are wishing and willing her strength to recover, but each day will
have its ups and downs, and her condition and recovery are, at this point,
completely unknown.

These are the facts.

Those who use partial facts, imperfect information, or supposed "inside"
relationships to gain inaccurate information and then to spread it do
nothing positive.   Rumor and innuendo are the result, and the pain to
family and friends -- already stretched to the breaking point -- is really
devastating.   I know the folks who are spreading rumors mean well -- at
least, I hope they do.   But they cannot have any idea how hurtful their
stories are to people who are close to someone who is severely injured.

Tragedies happen.   Rumors don't help. Your positive thoughts and prayers
are, and will be, greatly appreciated.

Kim Christlieb
Ridgecrest, Ca.