[RC] Californios Lite - nina bomar

Warmest wishes to Marcia Harmon for a rapid recovery.  Please let her know that her fellow compadres pray for a peaceful and harmonious hospital stay and that the energy of our horses send the message of healing and strength.

When a tragedy such as this strikes it is always difficult to express the good times without first acknowledging our sadness and concern for the sufferer.  With all due respect, I would like to say that this ride proved to be challenging and adventurous all the while offering some of the greatest beauty Mother Earth has to offer!  The PCT trail was exciting and often daring as we meandered through some of the most delightful mountainsides nestled in the high desert of So Ca.

After the first vet check, I hooked up with two of the most pleasant women who lead the way for the next 10-15 miles of single track trail.  I am afraid of heights so I spent most of the time looking in to the mountain side and praying that Spiderman would take each step carefully as we trotted along like a locomotion spiraling up and down, in and out through the woods.  It was very exciting and daring at times.  Marge and Vern did a terrific job of providing water for the horses and a very well marked trail.  The last leg did offer a grueling climb that never seemed to end.

The weather was warm considering Friday morning there was a brief flurry of snowflakes that dusted the landscape.  There were even places on the trail that still had ice shavings that survived the chilly evening and sporadic wind bursts that were harsh enough to rock my van on occasion throughout the night.  There was a cool breeze the morning of the ride and therefore the 20 minute hold was abandoned at the first vet check but there was plenty of time to rest and refuel at the remaining holds.  The trail provided an abundance of green grass for grazing and there was many wild flower bouquets that decorated the hillsides.

The camp was nestled on this amazing horse ranch that must have been built in the early 1900's.  The BBQ was hosted up at the barn which was an obvious treasure from the past.  It  was a big beautiful old fashioned craftsman style wood building that once housed many Quarter horses, which were raised and trained there for racing.  They had pipe stalls and a big racetrack for training purposes.  There were green pastures that housed beautiful long horn cattle, which spooked the heck out of Spider as we walked into camp after the finish.  It was very historic and a great place to celebrate the accomplishments of the day. Nina Bomar