[RC] Another (Training) Ride Story - Suvut

If we are sharing ride stories, I just have to chime in.  My friend, Sue, and I had the MOST wonderful training ride this morning on our 5 year old Arabian geldings!!

We both started our babies out last year together and it is nothing short of amazing how much they have progressed.  Her gelding is a beautiful 15'1 chestnut who moves out boldly and strongly.  Mine is a very cute little 14'2 grey who is just now getting his confidence and, by the way, climbs hills like a mountain goat.

We parked at the Top of the Rock parking lot up in Henryville, Indiana.  On weekdays, the whole forest belongs to us and this morning was cool, breezy, and totally wonderful.  We saddled up and started down the trail.  Both boys were alert and eager to go, listening to the branches creak in the wind.  Cinnamon (Sue's colt) usually leads, since he moves out so much stronger.  My colt, Encore, followed along behind, trotting out very nicely.  Encore (who until recently would buck if the front horse got too far ahead) has now decided that it's OK to be left behind and just lengthens his trot to catch up.

We did a slow warmup trot down Tree Lane, crossing a few fallen trees, and made a right turn down the first switchback hill.  Both colts picked their way carefully down the hill to the first creek crossing.  The boys climbed up the bank and trotted up the next hill.  After more long trotting and hill climbing, we came to a very muddy, steep slope, down some black slate rocks  into a fast moving creek.  Cinnamon took one look and said NO WAY!  Sue allowed him to think about it, and then suggested that Encore try it.  Encore thought about it for a few minutes, and then very slowly and carefully, slid down the bank into the creek.

I am so proud of this young horse that I have bred and raised.  He has shown so much intelligence and  trust in me over some very daunting trail obstacles.

After allowing the boys to play in the creek for a few moments, we were up the other bank and trotting again.  Within a few minutes, we began the very long, steep climb up the last switchback hill to the other end of Tree Lane.  This hill is an extreme challenge, but  our youngsters handled it well!

Back at Tree Lane, Cinnamon struck up a big trot and we were heading back to the trailer.  We had about 3 miles of beautiful dirt trail to trot and canter -- and today there were NO cobwebs!!

As we came through the orange gate, we allowed the boys to walk and cool down.  Saddles off and their pulses were around 52.  Sue and I are both SO very proud of these young guys.  What a wonderful ride!!!  :)

Susan Vuturo (AERC #1108)