[RC] bitless bridles - Larry Miller

I love my bitless bridles.  I love the gaits that I get out of my horses.  BUT, and a very BIG BUT, I would keep the bridle with the bit handy.  Maggie was a pill this spring and I could barely stop her.  So I went back to her regular bridle.  Once I felt that she was ready to listen and work, then the bitless bridle went back on.  My mellow arab does quite well in the bitless bridle.  But he can be strong too.  So far, I have not put him back into his regular bridle, but it is ready in case I need it.  He has tried some bucks with me but so far I have been able to keep his head up.  I might add he did 25, 25 the other weekend with riders passing in his bitless bridle.  A bitless bridle is not for every horse.  Only the rider can determine what the horse will work in.  I might add, that mellow Rowdy has a good voice whoa.  I would never attempt to ride my 21 yr old Bay in anything but a bit.  I value my life too much.  And in order for the bitless bridle to work correctly, it has to be adjusted correctly on the horse.  Jeanie