Re: [RC] [RC] High Strung Mare - Laurie Durgin

I have one too. But have done lots of ground work with her and taken things slow and one tiny step at a time. I'm sure if I had more time I'd be further, but ,she has really learned to trust and what she has learned whe knows well. If you don't have time to do basics, slow work with her and get her to trust you, then maybe another horse would be better. Otherwise, time and trust will probably solve it.Go back to where she is comfortable and repeat that for trust reasons, then move forward, systematically
one step at a time , on YOUr and HER timetable, (ignore "quickfixers').She doesn't trust and she is afraid.(not you , maybe, maybe the horse eating monster that lurks 100 feet from the barn and herd. Buddy sour/bartn sour work, I think would be a good starting point and basic ground movements. Best wishes, Laurie and Rascal/Honey(the sensitive one).

From: GracNova@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   High Strung Mare
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:12:53 EDT

HI,
I have been a lurker on ridecamp for about two years. I have two Arabian
mares one that is six. I have had her for about four years. She was the
first horse I have ever started and ridecamp has proved an immeasurable
resource. Thank all of you for sharing your expertise and experience with
us. My problem is with my new mare a thirteen year old Arabian mare, that I
have had five months. I grew up in the hunter ring and am use to horses with
easy forward gaits and nice smooth movements. This mare is high strung and
very quick. I took her out yesterday on a 1/2 mile loop around my front
pasture at a walk and she was dripping sweet when we got back she just works
herself up. When I ask for a circle she pivots on her hind legs and turns
really fast. She tends to blow up if she gets upset. On our way back to the
barn when I asked her to go somewhere she didn't want to she performed what
felt like an airs above ground (terminology might be wrong), she reared and
then leapt in the air with all four feet of the ground. This unseated me.
On a good note she is very barn sour but did not run off and leave me, but
stopped and waited for me to come get her. My question is this, is this
something that can be worked out with training or are some horses just wired
for quick movement. The only other horse I have ridden that moved like her
is my mother's TWH, and when she gets in a hurry and I won't let her trot she
feels like she is doing a version of the running walk. I read in another
thread that there are gaited Arabians. Does anyone know certain lines that
produce gaited horses? She is by Crown Courage (Muscastar x Jewel Drift) and
out of RS Maiden Heaven (Monte De Oro x Maid Marion). Sorry this is so long.
But I think I might have gotten too much horse for me.