[RC] step ups and ramps - Dot Wiggins

As far as safety goes,  horses can find a way to get hurt no matter which you use.

As far as step height, I've had many that would happily jump into a pickup stock rack, but hated to walk into a closed trailer with or without a ramp.   Most would turn around and jump down from the pickup just like cats.  One was too big to turn, he just backed carefully down the sloping tailgate and stepped off.
(Was kind of hard on the tailgate as he usually wore borium shoes)  Never ever had even a scratch on the horse.

I think some horses dislike the ramps because they feel movement as they put weight on.

Having used every possible kind of thing to haul horses, I like the slant load step ups best for many reasons.  Most have been hashed over already.

One item I insist on with any step up is the addition of a rubber bumper on the edge of the step up.

And I have loaded and unloaded most kinds of horses, broke and unbroke, most breeds or mixes there of.