Re: [RC] [Guest] Trailer ramps - superpat

Hi Jan,
I have never had a ramp. Let me say that first off. But I have a couple of
friends who do and from seeing theirs, I would never choose to have one.
First off, I think they increase the chance for a mishap. I have seen horses
step off of the side before they are all the way down and that could be a
wreck or at least a minor injury.
If you trailer out to trails, it is harder to find a good pull off place
that is level enough to accommodate a ramp.
Someone mentioned the scenario where your trailer ends up in a ditch and you
cannot let the ramp down enough to get the horse out.
I had not thought of that but what a terrible thing that would be not to be
able to let your horse out because you could not get the ramp down.
And those ramps are HEAVY. I would not want to have to deal with lifting it
by myself and even with the power or spring assist, there is something else
to go wrong or need repair. No thanks.

I have a 3 horse slant load with step up ramp. I have had two foals who had
absolutely no problem hopping into the trailer. I used to allow my horses to
turn around to head out because they could see and just hop off. But I have
started to require them all to back out instead and here is the reasoning;
if I ever have to hitch a ride (perhaps during a endurance ride, for
instance) and the trailer happens to be an older two horse straight load, I
want them to be familiar with backing out since they cannot turn around. I
also think it is safer even in a slant load because there is the possibility
that they could be in a smaller trailer or even a straight load and because
of habit, might attempt to turn around and panic when they get wedged a bit.
So what would the person do who never took the time to teach her horses to
load and unload on a step up? If they need to be picked up after being
pulled while out on trail they need to know how to load in just about
anything.

Someone mentioned a horse trying to back out and getting frightened and
throwing their head up and banging it on the top of the doorway. I had this
happen when I was trying to train one of my horses to back out after she had
learned to turn around. She really banged her head and it scared her and me.
It was pointed out to me that had I not attempted to hold her head down by
pulling on the lead rope, she would not have lifted her head that
high....and my friend was right. Now, I release the rope and the horse has
never raised her head that high again.( They pull against pressure, so
release the pressure).
Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up getting.
I suppose there are pros and cons to just about any choice.
Pat