[RC] airy horse trailer - Debra Ager

With a trailer, generally more air moving through it is better than less.  Then you don't have problems with dust or ammonia, and the horse stays cooler.  I wouldn't worry too much about the cold, unless you plan to haul long distances in sub-freezing weather.  Last winter I hauled a couple of horses from Nebraska to central Texas in 20-30 degree weather (and blowing snow) in an open trailer without any problems (I realize these are not the best conditions, but I didn't have much choice).  Neither horse was blanketed, and both did just fine.  I wouldn't recommend this kind of hauling on a regular basis, but just used it as an example.  A horse's idea of confort differs greatly from our own, and my horses always loaded better and hauled better in trailers with open sides.  Anyone else have this experience?

Debbie (in Texas)