[RC] Hobbles - Tamara Taylor

Hi RC,

Thanks for all of the GREAT responses and support to everyone helping me to get
started.

I've been thinking about my fencing system options since my husband and I are
starving students. I've read lots of posts regarding corrals vs electric fence
vs tying to the trailer, etc.

One question I have is does anyone hobble? There has been lots of horror
stories of loose horses racing through camp destroying everything in their path
and getting terribly hurt.

I have close friends that run a pack outfit in the mountains. They have around
70 horses and run trail rides and guide hunters. They camp 6 months of the year
in the mountains with their horses and NO fences. All of their horses are
hobble trained. At the end of the day the horses are turned out loose and
hobbled where they can graze at their leisure. In the morning they call the
lead mare (wearing a bell) and the herd does a modified canter (moving front
feet together) into camp.

I also remember back to 4-H. One of the first lessons we taught our colts was
to hobble. Our instructor explained that hobble training was a useful skill and
would teach the horses to stand rather than struggle if they were ever tangled
in a rope, fence, wire, etc.

That being said, why don't more people hobble? Wouldn't it be safer for the
horses and people at camp? Wouldn't it help 'slow' some of the horses from
escaping their enclosures and racing around the camp? I don't mean they should
be loose in camp, but for the horses that are fenced in. They could still graze
and lie down.

Tamara